Friday, January 2, 2009

Clothes

I love clothes. I absolutely love them. I have always liked fashion but thought that one could not be modest and Godly while being fashionable. So fashion was stuffed in the closet as it were. And it was not until recently that I realized that one could be both modest and fashionable! And so I began some subtle experiments with my clothes. Nothing too daring because both my mother and one of my closest friends would've probably freaked. I do believe that the turning point for me, was when I wore leggings.
Under a skirt.
And I LIKED IT! So there!
That was last...May? Yes, May. An acquaintance's birthday party. The skirt was a knee-length denim skirt I'd had for a while but rolled it up a little to show a little contrast. The leggings were my younger sister's. I think that outfit subconsciously scared me a little because I didn't wear anything out of the ordinary and 'fashionable' until September when I wore the leggings again with a cute tunic that until then I'd only worn over jeans. And I liked it. And I got lots of compliments. :-)
Yesterday, I came to the conclusion that I need a cropped vest like this one. And skinny jeans. I've been putting off the skinny jeans thing because I've never been a fan. Until now. Not that I'm really a fan now. I've just come to the conclusion that I really like a lot of styles with skinny jeans so I would like to try a pair. I'm thinking Target.
The vest I decided I could make at home. It would be a lot cheaper, tailored, and I could make more varied colors and styles than I may find in my area (Central NH doesn't really lend it self to fashion). While searching for a good pattern online I came across this blog. Some of her stuff is a little too eccentric for me but I do like a lot of it. This post, for example, the first outfit is okay, not really me and a little too, rag-muffin-on-the-streets-of-London. I really like the second outfit. The pants, are niiiice and I LOVE the jacket. Very very nice. The third outfit is my favorite. I LOVE it. The layers, the argyle, the subtle plaid skirt, the tights, the vest. I absolutely LOVE. The only thing I would change is the boots. Knee-high boots work really really well with this outfit, however, the clunky-ness of those particular boots just messes with the outfit a bit, I would've chosen something a little sleeker. Other than that, I have no complaints. None. At. All. In fact, that post, and that post alone, is the reason I am updating today. So you should all thank Audi and her super awesome blog.
I have found that I associate music with different fashion styles. Rap is 'gangsta', ripped jeans and holey t-shirts with enough eyeliner to supply Marilyn Manson for a year with rock 'n' roll, etc. The sort of style I am striving towards strikes me as sort of Sixpence None the Richer/Simon and Garfunkel, with a touch of Enya but not much. Enya is more for those fantasy-type who buy faery wings and dress up as their favorite Amy Brown picture.

1 comment:

April Watson said...

Dot, I'm so glad you are venturing into the crazy world of fashion. The great thing is there are so many ways to get it right. Granted, it's easy to get it wrong too, but that's all part of the process. Please, keep us updated on your risk taking-- it's so fun! (and I hope Lucky helps, even if just a little bit)